ADOPTION COUNSELOR (part-time, includes weekends)
The GBHS is currently accepting applications for a part-time Adoption Counselor.
The Adoption Counselor will be responsible for finding good homes for dogs, cats and other animals at the shelter while creating a positive experience for prospective adopters.
- Responsible for cleaning details as directed by immediate supervisor
- Helping people through the adoption process, sharing information about animal care and behavior, reviewing adoption applications, interviewing applicants in a conversational way, making decisions to finalize or deny an adoption
- Secretarial/reception responsibilities including but not limited to making copies, preparing documents, sorting, filing, mailing, answering calls and taking messages
- Maintain knowledge of adoptable animals to include interacting with/getting to know the animals
- Assist potential adopters by matching animals and owners
- Responsible for courteous, polite customer service
- Responsible for completing and transferring all adoption data into the computer
- Answer and accept all GBHS inquiries in a polite, timely and courteous manner
- Assist adopters in selecting supplies necessary for the animals care, including a proper leash and collar, or carrier, from within the shelter store
- Must escort, assist and circulate with potential adopters
- Follow up on adoptions by phone once the animal has been placed in the new home
- Performs such other duties as required by immediate supervisor
- Maintains awareness of industry standards and innovations through publications, attendance of seminars, contact with persons of equivalent positions in similar organizations, and other educational opportunities, and communicates such information to the GBHS Board of Directors and employees and volunteers of GBHS
High school education or GED equivalent; customer service experience and a basic understanding of animal welfare; minimal computer skills; meets minimum general requirements for GBHS employment as set forth in GBHS employee handbook
All applicants must submit a resume to be considered for hire. Resume may be
submitted by email
or fax (205-942-1213) to the attention of the Human Resource
may also mail or deliver your resume to the GBHS at 300 Snow Drive, Birmingham, AL 35209 during our normal
All interviews are by appointment only. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Return to Top