The GBHS is currently accepting applications for a part-time animal caretaker.
Candidate must have a high school education or GED equivalent; customer
service experience and a basic understanding of animal welfare; minimal
computer skills; able to lift minimum of 50 pounds; able to work well in
a team environment; able to work weekends, evenings, and holidays as
necessary; meet minimum general requirements for GBHS employment as set
forth in GBHS employee handbook. Previous animal care experience a plus.
This position requires a lot of physical labor. Primary duties include:
Cleaning details as directed by immediate supervisor
Daily care and treatment of animals including but not limited to bathing, exercise, and behavior
- Documenting behavior observations
- Maintaining up to date identification cards for all adoptable animals
- Cleaning and maintaining the facility and grounds
- Reporting animal health concerns to Clinic Technicians in a timely manner
- Observe and follow strict nutrition and medical guidelines for animals being treated by Clinic Technicians
The GBHS is currently accepting applications for a full-time Clinic Technician.
The Clinic Technician will provide and ensure proper healthcare to dogs, cats and other animals at the shelter.
- Must handle, restrain, and triage all animals entering the shelter.
- Medicate orally, SQ and IM as directed by veterinarian
- Responsible for cleaning details as directed by immediate supervisor.
- Efficiently prepare animals for adoption regarding health exams, innoculations and baths.
- Properly and timely record all activity, DEA logs and statistics as required by law and GBHS policy.
- Responsible for proper and timely record documentation, input and filing.
- Keep the clinic area properly organized and cleaned.
- Keep all drug, vaccines and syringes locked and accounted for in appropriate location on a daily basis.
- Responsible for implementing euthanasia policy and protocol.
- Performs such other duties as required by immediate supervisor.
- Maintains awareness of industry standards and innovations through publications, attendance of seminars, contact with persons of equivalent positions in similar organizations, and other educational opportunities, and communicates such information to the GBHS Board of Directors and employees and volunteers of GBHS.
All applicants must submit a resume to be considered for hire. Resume may be
submitted by email
or fax (205-942-1213) to the attention of the Human Resource
may also mail or deliver your resume to the GBHS at 300 Snow Drive, Birmingham, AL 35209 during our normal
All interviews are by appointment only. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Return to Top